Scholarship Description: The Graduate School for the Humanities is inviting applications for 5 PhD positions in Culture Studies for the 4-year duration.
Scholarship Provider: The University of Groningen provides top-quality educational programmes. We offer a wide variety of interesting, highly regarded degree programmes that rank well internationally. As our student, you will receive high-quality supervision and have many programmes to choose from. As an exceptionally motivated and talented student, you could join our Honours College for an extra challenge.
Students must have very good command of spoken and written English. Dutch proficiency is an asset.
Degree Level: Positions are available to PhD programme.
Available Subject: Positions are awarded in Culture Studies, Graduate School for the Humanities.
Scholarship Benefits: The scholarship is paid in monthly instalments in accordance with the taxation scheme of a fictitious employment contract. The UG/UMCG withholds income tax and social security contributions. The amount of the scholarship is set so that students receive approximately €1750 net per month. This amount is adjusted annually on the basis of the “CBS consumer price index”. No periodic increases or secondary benefits are applied (as in a normal employment contract), nor will the PhD scholarship students receive pension premiums, an end-of-year bonus, or holiday pay. The scholarship amount will not be adjusted if a student is faced with additional expenses due to personal circumstances such as the care of a partner and/or children.
Number of Scholarships: Up to 5 positions are available.
Eligibility Criteria: University is looking for talented and ambitious researchers in the relevant disciplines.
• A master’s degree in one of the five areas mentioned above, with an excellent academic record
• Proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
• Excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
Application Procedure: Please send your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until the deadline of 13 May 11:59 pm / before 14 May 2018 Dutch local time, by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as “letter of motivation attachment”.
The submission should contain the following:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research within one of the research groups
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of the data page of your passport
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (1500 words, tables and references excluded, and a project title). See the guidelines in the following website: https://www.rug.nl/(…)for-phd-applications
5. Names and contact details of two academic references.
Online Application: https://www.rug.nl/education/phd-programmes/phd-scholarship-programme/phd-scholarships?reply=00347-02S000699P
Scholarship Link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/phd-programme/phd-positions/5-phd-positions-culture-studies-%28b043-47218%29?lang=en
Deadline: May 13, 2018